Filofax Week #31

11:00 AM

A few weeks ago, I attended a seminar at City Hall for the Charter City Commissioner elections.  I had no intention of running for public office and even after the seminar, I still felt the same way.  However, after a couple of weeks, I decided to run because even though its a big commitment, it was a way that I can make a difference.  Thankfully, Michael was thinking of running for one of the fifteen positions opened for this office and I joined him along with another hopeful.  We gathered signatures at the State Capitol.  


Whilst we gathered signatures, I realised that running or campaigning for public office is very expensive.  Many advised that I should put in for a candidate statement (which I read during election season) and they're right.  Many read those statements, but the cost of running a statement is $2,100 or more.  Given that I just finished university and unemployed, I can't possibly pay for a very costly statement.  On Tuesday, I dropped out of the race.

I'm slightly disappointed yet thankful that I'm not running.  Without an endorsement, the next few months are free for me to study for the CSET exam which will be held in November as well as trying to finish up my novel.  My next project?  I'm going to check Oto's Japanese Supermarket for some awesome hauls to decorate my Filofax.  The pages are slightly getting boring.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. It's sad that you didn't get to run in the end, but why don't you use the next 4 years (or however long until the next election) to build up contacts, research strategies, and maybe secure some funding so that next time you can run! Never give up! It's important to try to make a difference in this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funding is the most important thing. I know for sure that some people do end up breaking the bank just to run for public office. I will try again in the next election if the Charter City Commission passes the ballot.

      Delete
  2. Bravo for the decision to run and the wisdom to realize that it wasn't quite the right time! Both took courage.

    On a more mundane note - what pen(s) do you use? Maybe it's just the photograph, but I like the clarity and brightness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I use a lot of pens! For this post I used the Pilot Precise V5 RT and Pilot G-2 07. I'm experimenting with a quite bit of pens to use for my FIlo. I just bought the new Sharpie Pens, but I found that I like Pentel Energel and Le Pen by Marvy, which I normally use. Also, I edited the photograph in Adobe Lightroom before uploading it.

      Delete

Instagram